The Top 5 TV Cop Shows Of All Time
While the years have come with some excellent TV cop shows, some really do stand out amongst all the rest, and here are Shemar’s pick for the top 5 TV cop shows of all time are:
5. Miami Vice – From 1984 to 1990, Miami Vice was one of the most popular cop shows ever to hit Television. The show followed a squad of vice detectives as they cracked cases and served justice within the Miami area. Running for a total of 5 seasons, Miami Vice was a top favorite for audiences and critics alike!
4. Starsky & Hutch – Starsky & Hutch was an award winning and Golden Globe nominated TV cop drama that ran from 1975 to 1979 for a total of 4 seasons. The show followed two street smart detectives named Ken “Hutch” Hutchinson and Dave Starsky as they served justice to criminals in their Ford Torino! The show was so popular that it was made into a 2004 film starring Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson.
3. Chips – Chips, starring Erik Estrada and Robert Pine as Officer Frank Poncherello and Sgt. Joseph Getraer, followed the day to day lives of two motorcycle officers working on the California Highway Patrol. The show began in 1977 and ran until 1983, with its 6 seasons winning approval from audiences and earning award nominations. Erik Estrada was even once nominated for Best TV Actor at the 1980 Golden Globes.
2. Hill Street Blues – Another 1980’s classic TV cop drama was Hill Street Blues, which featured a more realistic and gritty appeal compared to other similar shows of the time. Running between 1981 and 1987, Hill Street Blues set a new style that was often replicated thereafter in this genre of television.
1. Magnum PI – Magnum PI is one of the most popular cop TV shows to ever exist, and the show starred the one and only Tom Selleck as Magnum. From 1980 to 1988, over the course of 8 seasons, Magnum PI became one of the classic cop shows to help to shape the genre for many years to come!
While Criminal Minds is one TV cop show on television today, these favorites of the past have helped to shape today’s cop drama into what we have come to know and love.